[Rd] Wishlist: fix error in documentation for body<- (PR#13318)

Peter Dalgaard p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Fri Nov 21 23:46:17 CET 2008

fabian.scheipl at stat.uni-muenchen.de wrote:
> Full_Name: Fabian Scheipl
> Version: 2.8.0
> OS: Windows, Linux
> Submission from: (NULL) (138.246.7.150)
>

> It seems to me that the documentation for body<- is wrong.
> The help file for
>
> body(fun, envir = environment(fun)) <- value
>
> says that:
>
> value can be an expression or a list of R expressions.
>
> This produces errors however:
>
> ################################
>
>> f <- function(x){}
>> body(f) <- list(expression(res <- x^2),expression(return(x)))
> Fehler in as.function.default(c(formals(fun), value), envir) :
>   ungültiges formales Argument für "function"
>
> ################################
>

> The only way to assign multiple statements to a function body
> that I could get to work is to put all the statements into a single expression,
> (separated by ';' and in curly brackets):
>
> ################################
>
> body(f) <- expression({res <- x^2; return(x)})
>
> ################################
>
> I think the words 'or a list of R expressions.' should be removed.

It's slightly trickier than that. The value _can_ be a list, but only
one of length 1. The same actually goes for expressions, but in that
case there is explicit code to take only the first element. Also, the
distinction between objects of mode "expression" and unevaluated
expressions is unclear (here and elsewhere).

 > body(f) <- expression(x,y,z)
function ()
 > body(f) <- list(quote(2+2))
function ()
2 + 2
 > body(f) <- list(expression(2+2))
function ()
expression(2 + 2)

BTW: Don't use 'wishlist' on things that are real errors.