[Rd] unrelated software install triggering an error from R's install script on Mac OS X 10.5

Laurent Gautier lgautier at gmail.com
Sun Nov 30 23:11:46 CET 2008

Stefan Evert wrote:

>> The steps needed to generate the error are:
>>
>> - install a binary distribution of R (default location)
>> - add R to the PATH
>
> Did you actually add
>
>     /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/bin/
>
> to your PATH?  You're not supposed to do that!  What made you think so?

Coming from an UNIX background, adding a directory like bin/ to the PATH
   does not appear unreasonable.

> This directory contains a range of support scripts for R which are not
> intended for direct use from the command line or other programs.  In my
> installation, there's just a symlink from /usr/bin/R to the R binary in
> the directory above, which AFAIK is the only program you need to invoke
> directly.

I am relatively new to OS X, so I cannot tell whether this is an R
specificity, or the way things are usually done on OS X are somewhat
very different from the UNIX way.
I am surprised by this cherry pick one executable in bin/ / don't touch
the PATH.

> In your case, R's "INSTALL" script, which implements the "R CMD INSTALL"
> functionality masks the standard "install" program in /usr/bin/install,
> so Python's installer now picks up a completely wrong program.  Even if
> you edit R's "INSTALL" script, it'll do something entirely different
> from what you expect.

To my great dismay I am hearing here that Mac OS X is not case-sensitive.

> BTW, putting the R binary directory ahead of system directories such as
> /usr/bin in your PATH is an even worse idea than including it there in
> the first place. ;-)

I am used to the fact that adding a bin/ directory in the PATH (and
*ahead* of all other components in the PATH) is the way to add custom
binaries. I cannot exclude that I am missing some specificities of Mac
OS X, but that idea seems to be at least shared by the fink project
(their default install puts /sw/bin ahead of all the rest).

I suppose that there is a documentation for R-on-OS-X and that I
overlooked it.

Laurent