[Rd] Attributes of top level environments clobbered (was Re: [R] possible bug in function 'var' in R 2.7.2?)

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at gmail.com
Fri Oct 3 18:39:42 CEST 2008

On Fri, Oct 3, 2008 at 11:43 AM, Luke Tierney <luke at stat.uiowa.edu> wrote:
> I will look into fixing it sometime if no one else feels like doing
> it.  The environment aspect is not high priority; some other related
> issues are more so (locking and active bindings as I recall).  But
> even thoughs may not make it to the top of my queue any time soon.
>
> The issue of placing attributes on environments has come up before,
> many times.  It is routinely advised against.  For better or worse,
> the way environments were exposed to the R level is not designed to
> support this properly.  Fixing this so that attributes are supported
> reliably is non-trivial, and it is hard to justify the effort given
> that there are standard work-arounds (such as putting the environment
> in a list and attaching attributes to the list).  An alternative way
> of removing the issues associated with attributes on environments, in
> line with the way NULL works, is to disable placing attributes on
> environments, at least from the R level.  This option is looking
> increasingly attractive.

These are not good options:

- the workaround does not allow one to inherit methods.  This
implies tediously rewriting or writing wrappers every inherited method
in any such subclass.  Its really tantamount to eliminating OO for
environments which is not a reasonable solution for a language that
is supposed to be OO.

- eliminating attributes on environments is even worse since widely
used packages such as proto, ggplot2 and other packages would suffer.
Maintaining reasonable compatiblity should be a goal of the core
development.  It would be better to document the current situation than
to make such a retrograde change.

- if time is a problem perhaps the core group needs to add resources
to reasonably address the problems in R.  Traditional economics
do not apply to an open source project.  There is no monetary cost to
adding additional developers.