[Rd] why is \alias{anRpackage} not mandatory?

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Mon Oct 6 12:35:15 CEST 2008

Thomas Petzoldt wrote:
> Dear R developers,
>
> if one uses package.skeleton() to create a new package, then a file
> anRpackage.Rd with the following entries is prepared:
>
> \name{anRpackage-package}
> \alias{anRpackage-package}
> \alias{anRpackage}
> \docType{package}
>

> Packages created this way have a definite entry or overview page, so:
>
> ?anRpackage
>
> gives new users of a certain package a pointer where to start reading.
>
> This is similar for packages which have the same name as their main
> workhorse function, e.g. zoo or nlme, but there are many packages which
> don't have an \alias{anRpackage}.
>
> "Writing R Extensions", sec. 2.1.4 says:
>
> "Packages may have an overview man page with an \alias pkgname-package,
> e.g. `utils-package' for the utils package, when package?pkgname will
> open that help page. If a topic named pkgname does not exist in another
> Rd file, it is helpful to use this as an additional \alias."
>
> My question: what speaks against making this sentence more pronounced
> and why not NOTE-ing a missing package alias in the package check?

Not everybody likes the idea of the overview man page, so when I wrote
that I left it weak.  Some of the disadvantages:

 - there are lots of packages without one, so this would create a lot of
work for people to add them.

 - the ones that do exist tend to include outdated information.  People
update the DESCRIPTION file but forget to update the corresponding
information in the overview.

 - in general there's a lot of dissatisfaction with the Rd format, so
there's reluctance to invest any more effort in it.

It would probably be a good idea to generate one automatically if not
provided by the author, at build or install time:  this would address
the first point.  I've been slowly working on some fixes that address
the second point.  (The current idea is to use Sweave-like constructs to
import things from the DESCRIPTION file at install time.)  There's no
way to address the third point other than providing a better format, and
I don't see any prospect of that happening.

Duncan Murdoch