[Rd] Lapack: SSYEV routine

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Tue Oct 7 11:38:13 CEST 2008

On Tue, 7 Oct 2008, Nolwenn Le Meur wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I am interested in using the SSYEV Lapack subroutine in a R package.
> Unfortunately I am not familiar with the all Lapack library and I was
> wondering why the routine SSYEV is not part of the R-LAPACK interface module.

Because it is a single-precision subroutine (that is what the leading 's'
means), and R does not use single precision.

> Is there any plan to extend the R-Lapack module in the next R release?

No, because R does not use single precision.

> Should I try to directly call the SSYEV routine of the external Lapack
> library from my R package?

I think you should rethink why you are using single precision routines
with R.  If you need to, you need to ship the routines you need with the
package, as e.g. fastICA does, for there need not be any  'external Lapack
library'.