[Rd] why is \alias{anRpackage} not mandatory?

Robert Gentleman rgentlem at fhcrc.org
Tue Oct 7 18:01:00 CEST 2008

Hi,
   Not that I have time, but I suspect that there are not that many ways
to document a package, probably only five or six variants in the wild
and an overview function, with a name like packageOverview, would be
relatively easy to write and would be able to extract all available
information into a single place for a user.

An advantage of such an approach is that it can be updated, independent
of what particular developers/packages do, leaving us free to choose our
own manner of documentation.  Also, one could easily imaging giving
overviews of the class structure and functions + relationships (a thread
on r-help) could be options, as could extracting doxygen type comments.
But, as with all things R, someone needs to actually put it together -
the tools are all there.

best wishes
   Robert

Robert Gentleman, PhD