[Rd] Installing ROracle in windows.. Pls help

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Fri Oct 10 13:14:17 CEST 2008

You have already sent this to R-help, and neither that list nor this is
the place to ask for help on VC++.

Why do you need ROracle?  Most Windows users find it much easier to access
Oracle via RODBC, which builds out of the box and has a pre-compiled
version on CRAN.

On Fri, 10 Oct 2008, Rita. A wrote:

> I have installed R 2.7.2 in windows, now i am trying to install R oracle... I
> am using Oracle 10g. i  have downloaded the Roracle 0.5-9 sources, and i am
> trying to compile it using Vc++, i found from readme files and forum that,
> we need to use the makefile.win in the \src folder and nmake utility of
> vc++, since i have not worked with vc++, i don't have any idea , how to use
> the nmake utility, can anybody help me with the steps required in compiling
> the R oracle sources please.. ? Many thanks.

Well, the sources say this is documented in ROracle/src/Makefile.win (two
versions, in fact).  If that is over your head, I can only suggest that
your company employs someone else to do this for you.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk