[Rd] dos-style line endings in .Rbuildignore result in files not being excluded

Nathan Coulter org.r-project.r-devel at pooryorick.com
Tue Oct 14 14:46:36 CEST 2008

Prof Brian Ripley wrote:

 > But to the point: how often do people get DOS-style files on a
 > Unix-alike? You have to work pretty hard to do this, and there comes a
 > point at which complicating R to workaround wrongly encoded files is not
 > worth the trouble.  Let's see if anyone else reports having done this.

In my experience, this is a common occurrence.  Granted, foreign line
delimiters are less common in a configuration file like .Rbuildignore, but they
have been the culprit more than once in package problems I have encountered.
think functionality like Python's universal newlines would be a big win for R.
One of the big draws in a programming language like Python is its claim to
being portable, and universal newlines are a critical part of that
functionality.  Mac-style newline delimiters are surfacing more often these
days as well, and the best place to sort this all out would be in the built-in
file manipulation functions.

--
Nathan Coulter
Computer Programmer