[Rd] (PR#13165) R CMD config doesn't export JAVA_LD_LIBRARY_PATH

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed Oct 15 12:04:47 CEST 2008

The subject line is true, and as documented hence not a bug.

If this was meant to be an enhancement request, please note that the R FAQ
said

   There is a section of the bug repository for suggestions for
   enhancements for R labelled `wishlist'.  Suggestions can be submitted
   in the same ways as bugs, but please ensure that the subject line makes
   clear that this is for the wishlist and not a bug report, for example by
   starting with `Wishlist:'.

On Wed, 15 Oct 2008, chakj at stanford.edu wrote:

> R CMD config exports the following variables:
>
>   JAR           Java archive tool command
>   JAVA          Java interpreter command
>   JAVAC         Java compiler command
>   JAVAH         Java header and stub generator command
>   JAVA_HOME     path to the home of Java distribution
>   JAVA_LIBS     flags needed for linking against Java libraries
>   JAVA_CPPFLAGS C preprocessor flags needed for compiling JNI programs
>
> JAVA_LD_LIBRARY_PATH is defined in Makeconf, but not exported.
> Specifically, src/scripts/config includes the following line:
> ok_java_vars="JAVA JAVAC JAVAH JAR JAVA_HOME JAVA_LIBS JAVA_CPPFLAGS"
>
> This list does not include JAVA_LD_LIBRARY_PATH, with no explanation of
> why not. Providing this env variable would allow developers to use RPATH
> instead of setting the LD_LIBRARY_PATH variable by hand before running R
> extensions that use Java.

What is RPATH?  Since R and R CMD set a LD_LIBRARY_PATH that includes
JAVA_LD_LIBRARY_PATH, this makes no sense to me: the documented way is to
run extensions via loading into R or via R CMD.

If you can make a good case for changing this, please re-submit an
enhancement request containing that case in the form described in the FAQ,
giving your credentials (this email is from an unnamed account and
unsigned: we have no idea who you are).