[Rd] Possible GPL Violation

Barry Rowlingson b.rowlingson at lancaster.ac.uk
Wed Oct 22 23:17:58 CEST 2008

> It seems unlikely that the functionality of this program can be separated
> from the R-packages upon which it relies, thus making them one work subject
> to GPL. Does anyone have any experience with this software/company? Any
> thoughts?

 They're not distributing R itself:

 "You must have R on your computer to use these programs.  R is
freeware and complete instructions for obtaining and installing it are
contained in ZumaStat."

 - and there's no reason why you can't distribute your own R functions
under any license you want.

 So, not a GPL violation in my opinion. Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer,
although I read some of my ex-girlfriend's contract law books...

Barry