[Rd] writting null (\000 or ^@) to an external text file without the new warning

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Tue Oct 28 23:09:51 CET 2008

On Oct 28, 2008, at 17:32 , Greg Snow wrote:

> Thanks, I had assumed that writeChar("",con) would write 0 bytes to
> the file and had seen the other construct somewhere else.  A quick
> test of writeChar("",con) does have the ^@ (when viewed in emacs) in
> the correct place, and there were no warnings, so I will change to
> that.

Note that writeChar writes the string *and* EOS. writeChar("", con)
writes nothing for the string so what you get is just the EOS which is
one 0x00 byte. That gives you your \000. You previous construct was
simply a noop because your output string was always irrelevant (just
try nchar(rawToChar(as.raw(0))).

Cheers,