[Rd] Problems with Sweave and pdf.options(encoding="ISOLatin7") (PR#13234)

zemlys at gmail.com zemlys at gmail.com
Fri Oct 31 10:35:07 CET 2008

Hi,

Sweave for some reason does not respect encoding setting in pdf.options.
Everything is OK with ps.options. Thus when using non-default encoding
for graphs, resulting graphics eps file is correct, but  pdf file is
not. Workaround is very simple, just use latex->dvips->ps2pdf chain to
get the intended pdf document. I tried to find the explanation for this,
but I did not find anything. If this is documented behaviour, I am sorry
for the disturbance.

After Sweaving the file below, pdflatex and latex->dvips->ps2pdf will
produce different pdfs. The tex file compiled succesfully in Ubuntu
8.04, and TeXLive 2007.

Sincerely yours,

Vaidotas Zemlys

test.Rnw file:

\documentclass[a4paper]{article}
\usepackage[utf8x]{inputenc}
\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}

\title{Problem with pdf.options}
\author{Vaidotas Zemlys}

\begin{document}
\maketitle

Note the Lithuanian letters in latex will not display correctly, you
need
additional package. This does not matter to R, since we use Unicode and
pass the
correct encoding.

\begin{center}
<<fig=TRUE,echo=TRUE>>=
pdf.options(enc="ISOLatin7")
ps.options(enc="ISOLatin7")
plot(rnorm(100),main="Ä
žųčšęėįū")
@
\end{center}

\end{document}

--please do not edit the information below--

Version:
 platform = i486-pc-linux-gnu
 arch = i486
 os = linux-gnu
 system = i486, linux-gnu
 status =
 major = 2
 minor = 8.0
 year = 2008
 month = 10
 day = 20
 svn rev = 46754
 language = R
 version.string = R version 2.8.0 (2008-10-20)

Locale:
LC_CTYPE=fr_FR.UTF-8 at euro;LC_NUMERIC=C;LC_TIME=fr_FR.UTF-8 at euro;LC_COLLATE=fr_FR.UTF-8 at euro;LC_MONETARY=C;LC_MESSAGES=fr_FR.UTF-8 at euro;LC_PAPER=fr_FR.UTF-8 at euro;LC_NAME=C;LC_ADDRESS=C;LC_TELEPHONE=C;LC_MEASUREMENT=fr_FR.UTF-8 at euro;LC_IDENTIFICATION=C

Search Path:
 .GlobalEnv, package:stats, package:graphics, package:grDevices,
package:utils, package:datasets, package:methods, Autoloads,
package:base