[Rd] Problem with UTF-8 text in the Rcmdr package

John Fox jfox at mcmaster.ca
Sat Sep 6 03:03:38 CEST 2008

Dear list members,

I've attached some email correspondence with Jaro Lajovic (with his permission), detailing a problem with the Slovenian translation file for the Rcmdr package.

In brief, while certain UTF-8 characters used in Slovenian used to appear properly in older versions of R, some characters do not display properly in the Rcmdr menus and output window under R 2.7.x. I've confirmed the problem with the current version of the Rcmdr package (1.4-0) and R 2.7.2 under Windows Vista.

I've checked the R docs and NEWS file for changes to R, but wasn't able to turn up anything that seemed relevant. Frankly, however, my understanding of how various character sets are handled is only partial.

Any help would be appreciated.

John

John Fox, Professor
Department of Sociology