[Rd] Cross-platform function availability

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Mon Sep 15 19:06:33 CEST 2008

On 9/15/2008 11:42 AM, hadley wickham wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Is there any way to determine which functions are available on which
> platforms?  For example, winProgr essBar (and related functions) are
> only available on Windows, but what about tkProgressBar and
> txtProgressBar?  Is there any way to figure out which functions are
> only available on certain platforms, without installing R on that
> platform and checking?

Generally I think the only reliable way is to look at the source.
Things in "windows" subdirs, or marked off with "#ifdef windows" (in Rd)
or "#ifdef Win32" (in C) are for windows only.  Probably our
documentation should point out when something is platform-specific, and
frequently it does, but I don't think it is completely consistent in this.

Duncan