[Rd] Problem with LD_LIBRARY_PATH setting in ldpaths (PR#13637)

meyer at rice.edu meyer at rice.edu
Thu Apr 2 16:10:08 CEST 2009

When using R on a linux machine (ubuntu 8.10) which DOES NOT have
LD_LIBRARY_PATH set (I particularly have it NOT set because it causes
problems), the script ldpaths will set LD_LIBRARY_PATH to the R Lib path
(in my case $R_HOME/lib:).  The placement of the colon makes my system
think that the directory "." is also on that lib path.  This causes real
problems when trying to run R with a remote mounted file structure (over
sshfs).  In particular, the initialization time for R is about 20
seconds, and a simple command like help(package) takes about 10.  It is
easily amended by not placing the colon at the end of the lib path if it
is empty first.  Please fix this so other newbies don't have to spend a
day and a half delving through strace output trying to figure out why
everything is slow!

--please do not edit the information below--

Version:
 platform = i486-pc-linux-gnu
 arch = i486
 os = linux-gnu