[Rd] Error in par(split.screens[[n]]) : parameter "i" in "mfg" is out of range

Dan Kelley kelley.dan at gmail.com
Fri Apr 3 19:53:26 CEST 2009

I'm working on my 'oce' package, trying split.screen() instead of par(mfrow).
My code is too long to post, and I hope it's ok that I ask this question
without doing so.

My code seems to work fine when I source() it, but when I do "R CMD check"
on my package, I get the error that I've put as the subject line, when it
runs examples.

If I comment out the plot() commands from my examples, and build the
package, then I can run those examples (with the plot() uncommented) from
the commandline, with no problems.  And I can run them from the console.  I
don't actually understand the error, although I can see that it is occurring
in a call to screen().

Has anyone else run across this?  Is there a trick I should employ, e.g.
making my package depend on the graphics package or setting up a virtual
device of some type for use in the building process?

PS. This is on OS X with the 2.8.1 version of R.