[Rd] Package (PR#13475)

S Ellison S.Ellison at lgc.co.uk
Fri Apr 10 14:35:43 CEST 2009

I had the same normalizePath error recently on a new laptop, with a fresh
install of R 2.8.1 and an attempt to install lme4. First attempt:
package 'Matrix' successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked
Error in normalizePath(path) :
  path[1]: The system cannot find the file specified

Second attempt:

package 'Matrix' successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked
package 'mlmRev' successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked
package 'MEMSS' successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked
package 'lme4' successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked
Error in normalizePath(path) :
  path[1]: The system cannot find the file specified

The irreproducibility made me wonder... so I turned off Norton's
auto-protect, which has a habit of scanning files on the fly when requested
and that often delays file opening. The error disappeared, at least that
once and for subsequent installations of NADA and the much larger rggobi
install.

The main reason for logging this post is to suggest a posible cause and
workround. But if it does turn out to be a consistent issue, perhaps it
would be worth checking for timeout issues related to normalizePath or
related routines in a future update?