[Rd] Problem cross-compiling on Ubuntu

Harry Southworth harry.southworth at googlemail.com
Tue Apr 14 21:20:25 CEST 2009

I'm new to building packages that have source code and I didn't know
about that site. In any event, it is an experimental private build for
testing, and it is more convenient for me to do most of the testing in
a Windows environment. I've spent a lot of time failing to build from
source on Windows, and would prefer not to name myself as maintainer
of someone else's package.

But, since it looks like that might be the easiest route, I've just
let the maintainer know what I'm up to and asked if he's fine with me
doing that.


On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 7:23 PM, Tobias Verbeke
<tobias.verbeke at openanalytics.be> wrote:
> Kasper Daniel Hansen wrote:
>> Is there any particular reason why you are doing this, instead of just
>> using
>>  http://win-builder.r-project.org/
>> After that server went online, I see little (no) need for
>> cross-compilation, I must say.
> That service is very useful indeed, but I can imagine
> situations where one would be better off with cross-compiling
> e.g. when compiling (on a customer's request) Windows versions
> of packages that contain sensitive customer data.
> Best,
> Tobias
>> On Apr 14, 2009, at 10:24 , Harry Southworth wrote:
>>> I'm using Ubuntu 8.10 (Intrepid Ibex) and R 2.7.1.
>>> I've built a package from source (a modified version of gbm) and it
>>> contains some C++ code.  I now want to cross-compile it to get a
>>> Windows version.
>>> I installed R using
>>>  sudo apt-get update
>>>  sudo apt-get install r-base
>>>  sudo apt-get install r-base-dev
>>> So far as I can tell, I've also followed all the instructions in the
>>> guide to cross-compiling by Yan and Rossini.
>>> When I try to cross-compile I get a load of errors, apparently due to
>>> R.h (and possibly other things) not being found:
>>> [snip - everything fine up to here]
>>> i586-mingw32-g++ -isystem
>>> /home/harry/RLibrary/forWindows/cross-tools/i586-mingw32/include
>>> -I/home/harry/RLibrary/forWindows/WinR/R-2.6.0/include    -Wall -O2
>>> -c adaboost.cpp -o adaboost.o
>>> In file included from dataset.h:20,
>>>                from node_terminal.h:21,
>>>                from distribution.h:20,
>>>                from adaboost.h:20,
>>>                from adaboost.cpp:3:
>>> buildinfo.h:8:19: R.h: No such file or directory
>>> adaboost.cpp: In member function `virtual GBMRESULT
>>> CAdaBoost::ComputeWorkingResponse(double*, double*, double*, double*,
>>> double*, double*, bool*, long unsigned int, int)':
>>> adaboost.cpp:33: error: `exp' was not declared in this scope
>>> adaboost.cpp:33: warning: unused variable 'exp'
>>> [etc. - snip]
>>> I'd be grateful if anyone can suggest what I might be doing wrong.
>>> Many thanks,
>>> Harry
>>> ______________________________________________
>>> R-devel at r-project.org mailing list
>>> https://stat.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/r-devel
>> ______________________________________________
>> R-devel at r-project.org mailing list
>> https://stat.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/r-devel

More information about the R-devel mailing list