[Rd] suggestion for R >= 3.0: computer-readable CHANGELOG

Romain Francois romain.francois at dbmail.com
Fri Apr 17 16:36:03 CEST 2009

Philippe Grosjean wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Here are a few questions that would be useful to get an answer via
> dedicated functions in utils or tools packages:
> - When did function foo appeared in R or in a given package?
> - When did argument myarg appeared in function foo?
> - When did function bar get deprecated or when did it disappeared?
> - I wrote a script using functions foo and bar with R 1.9.1. My script
> does not work any more with current version. What were all the changes
> made to foo and/or to bar since then (this could obviously help me to
> update my script for current R version)?
>
> Currently, we have to read NEWS (or perhaps a non official changelog)
> manually to get such answers.

Hi,

I agree with the usefulness of having this available, but there is
absolutely no way people are going to log such information in a
systematic fashion. In the other hand, if you have version 1 and version
2 of some package, then why not do some programmatic investigation of
the code to get (some of) these answers.

This looks like CRANberries, but working at the object level instead of
working at the file level, but then you can imagine to parse the
package, dump each function/object/class in its own file, and cranberry
that. Is CRANberry an R package ?

Romain

--
Romain Francois