[Rd] 'is.integer' (PR#13671)

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Thu Apr 23 11:22:06 CEST 2009

    SM> Dear R experts,
    SM> You are being a bit harsh on this user.

No! (see below)

    SM> He simply doesn't understand
    SM> the distinction between "object of type integer" and "integer-valued
    SM> object", which is actually fairly subtle.

yes, probably for the vast majority of today's R users.

*However*, Mauricio submitted a *formal* bug report against R
and there are many caveats against doing that "light-heartedly".
Note that he also said

 >> I would really appreciate if you could clarify if this is
 >> really a bug or not.

and that this is exactly one of situation where one should post
a question to R-help (or maybe R-devel) but *NOT* submit a
formal bug report.

Regards,
Martin