[Rd] incorrect output and segfaults from sprintf with %*d (PR#13667)

Wacek Kusnierczyk Waclaw.Marcin.Kusnierczyk at idi.ntnu.no
Thu Apr 23 11:49:54 CEST 2009

maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch wrote:

>     vQ> sprintf has a documented limit on strings included in the output using the
>     vQ> format '%s'.  It appears that there is a limit on the length of strings included
>     vQ> with, e.g., the format '%d' beyond which surprising things happen (output
>     vQ> modified for conciseness):

... and this limit is *not* documented.

>     vQ> gregexpr('1', sprintf('%9000d', 1))
>     vQ> # [1] 9000 9801
>
>     vQ> gregexpr('1', sprintf('%9000d', 1))
>     vQ> # [1]  9000  9801 10602
>
>     vQ> gregexpr('1', sprintf('%9000d', 1))
>     vQ> # [1]  9000  9801 10602 11403
>
>     vQ> gregexpr('1', sprintf('%9000d', 1))
>     vQ> # [1]  9000  9801 10602 11403 12204
>
>     vQ> ...
>
>     vQ> Note that not only more than one '1' is included in the output, but also that
>     vQ> the same functional expression (no side effects used beyond the interface) gives
>     vQ> different results on each execution.  Analogous behaviour can be observed with
>     vQ> '%nd' where n > 8200.
>
>     vQ> The actual output above is consistent across separate sessions.
>
>     vQ> With sufficiently large field width values, R segfaults:
>
>     vQ> sprintf('%*d', 10^5, 1)
>     vQ> # *** caught segfault ***
>     vQ> # address 0xbfcfc000, cause 'memory not mapped'
>     vQ> # Segmentation fault
>

> Thank you, Wacek.
> That's all ``interesting''  ... unfortunately,
>
> my version of  'man 3 sprintf' contains
>

>>> BUGS
>>>        Because sprintf() and vsprintf() assume an arbitrarily
>>>        long string, callers must be careful not to overflow the
>>>        actual space; this is often impossible to assure. Note
>>>        that the length of the strings produced is
>>>        locale-dependent and difficult to predict.  Use
>>>        snprintf() and vsnprintf() instead (or asprintf() and vasprintf).

yes, but this is c documentation, not r documentation.  it's applicable
to a degree, since ?sprintf does say that sprintf is "a wrapper for the
C function 'sprintf'".  however, in c you use a buffer and you usually
have control over it's capacity, while in r this is a hidden
implementational detail, which should not be visible to the user, or
should cause an attempt to overflow the buffer to fail more gracefully
than with a segfault.

in r, sprintf('%9000d', 1) will produce a confused output with a count
of 1's variable (!) across runs (while sprintf('%*d', 9000, 1) seems to
do fine):

    gregexpr('1', sprintf('%*d', 9000, 1))
    # [1] 9000

    gregexpr('1', sprintf('%9000d', 1))
    # [1] 9000 9801 ..., variable across executions

on one execution in a series i actually got this:

Warning message:
In gregexpr("1", sprintf("%9000d", 1)) :
  input string 1 is invalid in this locale

while the very next execution, still in the same session, gave

    # [1]  9000  9801 10602

with sprintf('%*d', 10000, 1) i got segfaults on some executions but
correct output on others, while sprintf('%10000d', 1) is confused again.

> (note the "impossible" part above)

yes, but it does also say "must be careful", and it seems that someone
has not been careful enough.

> and we haven't used  snprintf() yet, probably because it
> requires the  C99 C standard, and AFAIK, we have only relatively
> recently started to more or less rely on C99 in the R sources.

while snprintf would help avoid buffer overflow, it may not be a
solution to the issue of confused output.

> More precisely, I see that some windows-only code relies on
> snprintf() being available  whereas in at least on non-Windows
> section, I read   /* we cannot assume snprintf here */
>
> Now such platform dependency issues and corresponding configure
> settings I do typically leave to other R-corers with a much
> wider overview about platforms and their compilers and C libraries.

it looks like src/main/sprintf.c is just buggy, and it's plausible that
the bug could be repaired in a platform-independent manner.

> BTW,
> 1) sprintf("%n %g", 1,1)   also seg.faults

as do

    sprintf('%n%g', 1, 1)
    sprintf('%n%')

etc., while

    sprintf('%q%g', 1, 1)
    sprintf('%q%')

work just fine.  strange, because per ?sprintf 'n' is not recognized as
a format specifier, so the output from the first two above should be as
from the last two above, respectively.  (and likewise in the %S case,
discussed and bug-reported earlier.)

> 2) Did you have a true use case where  the  8192  limit was an
>    undesirable limit?

how does it matter?  if you set a limit, be sure to consistently enforce
it and warn the user on attempts to exceed it.  or write clearly in the
docs that such attempts will cause the output to be silently truncated.
examples such as

    sprintf('%9000d', 1)

do not contribute to the reliability of r, and neither to the user's
confidence in it.

vQ