[Rd] Closed-source non-free ParallelR ?

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at gmail.com
Thu Apr 23 20:44:37 CEST 2009

On Thu, Apr 23, 2009 at 1:41 PM, Friedrich Leisch
<friedrich.leisch at stat.uni-muenchen.de> wrote:

> [...]
>
>  > Could someone from the R Foundation or the FSF step in and clarify the
>  > situation please ?
>
> Just a short clarification (by no means intended to stop the thread):
> as you can imagine we are discussing the matter internally in R Core
> and the Foundation, but there are different views and we want to
> consolidate before we make a public statement.  If all of us were of
> the same opinion we would already have made one.
>
> Unfortunately New Zealand, Europe and the US are in quite different
> time zones, hence discussions by email take some time.

Aside from R there are the add-on packages.

A frequency table showing the licenses of the CRAN packages indicates
that the all or almost all packages have some sort of free software license
with GPL licenses being most common. (A few packages have restrictions
to noncommercial use and that may conflict with GPL, not sure.)   That is
not to say that there are no other types of packages but any such packages
are not on CRAN.

         AGPL (&gt;3.0), with attribution as per LICENSE file
                                                            1
                                  AGPL 3.0 (with attribution)
                                                            1
                                           Apache License 2.0
                                                            2
                                                 Artistic-2.0
                                                            5
                                             Artistic License
                                                            2
                                         Artistic License 2.0
                                                            1
                     avas is public domain, ace is on Statlib
                                                            1
                                                          BSD
                                                           16
                                                       CeCILL
                                                            1
                                                     CeCILL-2
                                                            2
                            Common Public License Version 1.0
                                                            2
       Distribution and use for non-commercial purposes only.
                                                            1
                                                 file LICENCE
                                                            2
                                                 file LICENSE
                                                           38
  Fortran code: ACM, free for non-commercial use, R functions
                                                            1
                             free for non-commercial purposes
                                                            1
                                      Free for nonprofit use.
                                                            1
                      Free. See the LICENCE file for details.
                                                            1
                                   GNU General Public License
                                                            3
                         GNU General Public License Version 2
                                                            4
                                                          GPL
                                                          222
                                                        GPL-2
                                                          316
                                         GPL-2 | file LICENCE
                                                            1
                                         GPL-2 | file LICENSE
                                                            7
                                                GPL-2 | GPL-3
                                                           13
  GPL-2.  Contributions from Randall C. Johnson are Copyright
                                                            1
  GPL-2; incorporates by permission code of W. Bachman (wrtab
                                                            1
                                                        GPL-3
                                                           38
                                                 GPL (&ge; 2)
                                                          872
                                  GPL (&ge; 2) | file LICENSE
                                                            1
                                               GPL (&ge; 2.0)
                                                            2
                                                 GPL (&ge; 3)
                                                           34
                                               GPL (&ge; 3.0)
                                                            1
                                                   GPL (== 2)
                                                            1
                                           GPL | file LICENSE
                                                            1
                                                   GPL | LGPL
                                                            1
                                               GPL 2 or newer
                                                            1
                               GPL AFFERO 3.0 (with citation)
                                                            1
     GPL version 2 or newer. Copyright statement for ptolemy:
                                                            1
   GPL version 2 or newer. The terms of this license are in a
                                                            2
GPL version 2 or newer. This library is Copyright (C) 2007 by
                                                            1
                                          GPL2 | file LICENSE
                                                            1
                                                         LGPL
                                                           21
                                                       LGPL-2
                                                            3
                                                     LGPL-2.1
                                                            6
                                                       LGPL-3
                                                           19
                                                LGPL (&ge; 2)
                                                            2
                                              LGPL (&ge; 2.0)
                                                            5
                                              LGPL (&ge; 2.1)
                                                            9
                                                          MIT
                                                            8
                                   Mozilla Public License 1.1
                                                            1
               Original ??, extensions GPL version 2 or newer
                                                            1
  R functions: GPL, Fortran code: ACM, free for noncommercial
                                                            1
                              S original available at statlib
                                                            1
   The caMassClass Software License, Version 1.0 (See COPYING
                                                            1
   The software may be distributed free of charge and used by
                                                            3
This package was written by Hans Peter Wolf. This software is
                                                            1
  This software may be re-distributed freely and used for any
                                                            3
             Unclear (Fortran) -- code in Statlib's ./S/adapt
                                                            1
                                                    Unlimited
                                                           18
                Unlimited distribution for noncommercial use.
                                                            1
                                      Unlimited distribution.
                                                            1
                                                          X11