[Rd] Closed-source non-free ParallelR ?

(Ted Harding) Ted.Harding at manchester.ac.uk
Fri Apr 24 02:54:14 CEST 2009

On 23-Apr-09 22:21:45, Ian Fellows wrote:
> Assuming that the foundation does not want to deviate from the
> FSF interpretation, there would still be value in clarifying its
> position vis-à-vis how the license applies to R specifically.

I think (see below) that I agree with this!

> For example the FSF foundation claims that linking to a library
> (even in an interpreted environment) makes your software derivative,
> and therefore must be distributed Freely. They also claim that
> simply executing a program in an interpreted (GPL'ed) environment
> is okay even though the program could not be run without it. So one
> question might be, where does the language end and the libraries
> begin?

As far as I Understand these things (and I think I use language
differently from lawyers), it seems to me that this view about
executing a program in an interpreted environment is reasonable.

For example, suppose I bought a commercial FORTRAN interpreter.
I write a program (plain text, of course) in standard FORTRAN.
Running this on the interpreter surely would not tie me into
any licensing issues arising from the rights of the seller of
the interpreter, and I feel sure I could re-distribute my raw
(test) FORTRAN code as I pleased without any infringement arising
from the fact that I had, myself, executed it on the interpreter.
Others (and I myself) could surely compile the program on some
other compiler, etc.

However, if that commercial interpreter also had a 'compile' option,
and I compiled my progrtam using that, then equally I feel sure
that the compiled version would be subject to whatever restrictions
had been placed on distirbution fo binaries so compiled. I think
those things are clear enough.

The interesting question arises if the commercial interpreter
also included some extension of standard FORTRAN which was unique
to that interpreter. I dare say I could pass a program which
included use of the extension to others without problems, on
thr grounds that they would have to obtain te same interpreter
in order to run it.

But now suppose that my having done this inspires someone to
incorporate the same language extension into a GPL'd FORTRAN
interpreter/compiler. I think I could then be vulnerable, or
they could, on the grounds that I/they had pinched the idea
from the commercial product.

And now (relevent to Ian's next point), maybe a similar principle
might be held to apply to R code which depends on R's use of GPL?
-- since people who write R code often use features of the code
which are peculiar to R. Or maybe the GPL doesn't inhibit you
from using *ideas* and *features* of GPL software, provided you
implement them yourself and in your own way? I dunno ...

Ted.

Fax-to-email: +44 (0)870 094 0861
Date: 24-Apr-09                                       Time: 01:54:11