[Rd] Closed-source non-free ParallelR ?

Gábor Csárdi csardi at rmki.kfki.hu
Fri Apr 24 17:41:29 CEST 2009

On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 5:11 PM, Andrew Piskorski <atp at piskorski.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 23, 2009 at 03:21:45PM -0700, Ian Fellows wrote:
[...]
> IMO, that's nuts, there is no such thing as "linking" to a library "in
> an interpreted environment".  Linking is a well understood operation
> in computer programming, and is always done after compilation,
> typically by a special program called "the linker", which is usually
> ld, the GNU linker.  If you are solely running code that you wrote in
> an interpretor provided by another party, you didn't do any linking,
> period.

Khmmm, that might not be true, at least not entirely. If you develop
an R package that has C/C++/Fortran code, then the library from your
package and R link dynamically at running time. According to the FSF
interpretation, the C/C++/etc. part of your package must be under GPL
in this case.

> And more to the point, this:

Still, if they have code that is compiled and linked to R at running
time, then that code must be under the GPL. Again, this is the FSF
interpretation and certainly not R-core's, not even mine.
[...]

--
Gabor Csardi <Gabor.Csardi at unil.ch>     UNIL DGM