[Rd] License status of CRAN packages

Ben Goodrich goodrich at fas.harvard.edu
Fri Apr 24 23:26:46 CEST 2009

I don't have a strong opinion about partitioning the repository, but I
don't think partitioning based on whether the license is commonly used
for R packages is terribly helpful. AGPL and AGPL + GPL3 are not common
licensing schemes for R packages currently, but from the perspective of
a useR, there is no relevant distinction between these two rare cases
and the more common case of GPL3. So why should packages be put in
separate repositories based on this non-distinction? A partition based
on whether the package is free according to the FSF definition seems
more plausible to me.

Ben