[Rd] Error in X11() : X11 module cannot be loaded

Petr Novak pnovak at azcc.arizona.edu
Fri Apr 24 13:50:36 CEST 2009

Hi,
we are using R installed on several linux computer - mostly debian lenny
and also ubuntu, all 64 bit. Approx.two week ago, I started getting the
following error when I tried to plot().

Error in X11() : X11 module cannot be loaded
In addition: Warning message:
In X11() : unable to load shared library
'/usr/lib64/R/modules//R_X11.so':
  /usr/lib/libcairo.so.2: symbol png_set_expand_gray_1_2_4_to_8, version
PNG12_0 not defined in file libpng12.so.0 with link time reference

This error occurs now on all five computer we are using (due to
aupdate???)

we are using  R version 2.7.1 (2008-06-23) installed using aptitude from
repositories.

Does anybody have idea what is going on?

Petr

DISCLAIMER: This email and any files transmitted with it...{{dropped:7}}