[Rd] Some extensions to class inheritance and method selection

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Wed Apr 29 13:54:04 CEST 2009

In released 2.9.0, we have been seeing warnings when installing sp, for
example:

Warning in .checkS3forClass(ClassDef at className, where, names(exts)) :
  Some of the superclasses in the definition of class "SpatialPoints" have
apparent S3 methods.

DANGER: the new class will not inherit these methods.
Complain to the author of the superclass definitions.

The apparent methods are  "plot.Spatial", "summary.Spatial"

Running R CMD check sp (or installing from CRAN) on 2.10.0 (2009-04-29
r48433) does not generate any such warnings. For us, it would be helpful if
the extensions could be patched into 2.9.1 (although no user has complained,
curiously enough).

Roger