[Rd] Inaccurate complex arithmetic of R (Matlab is accurate)

Ravi Varadhan RVaradhan at jhmi.edu
Tue Aug 4 16:59:43 CEST 2009

Please forgive me for my lack of understanding of IEEE floating-point
arithmetic.  I have a hard time undertsanding why "this is not a problem of
R itself", when "ALL" the other well known computing environments including
Matlab, Octave, S+, and Scilab provide accurate results.  My concern is not
really about the "overall" accuracy of R, but just about the complex
arithmetic.  Is there something idiosyncratic about the complex arithmetic?

I am really hoping that some one from the R core would speak up and address
this issue.  It would be a loss to the R users if this fascinating idea of
"complex-step derivative" could not be implemented in R.

Thanks,
Ravi.

-------

Ravi Varadhan, Ph.D.

Assistant Professor, The Center on Aging and Health

Johns Hopkins University

Ph: (410) 502-2619

Fax: (410) 614-9625

Email: rvaradhan at jhmi.edu