[Rd] compiling DLL under Visual Studio IDE

Thomas Mang thomas.mang at fiwi.at
Wed Aug 5 11:08:22 CEST 2009

Hi,

I have successfully compiled DLLs and invoked the functions using the R
toolset. I would also like to compile the DLL using Microsof Visual
Studio compiler (2005, if that matters). The FAQ tells how to do that
from the command line; however I'd also like to do that from within the
IDE.
So far I failed: The DLL was built, and actually the function of
interest was put under export category; but apparently something did not
work out because R couldn't locate the function (loading the DLL worked
fine). I know this question is only marginally R related, so :

a) is it simple to set up a virgin (empty) project using the MSVC IDE?
Any hints would be much appreciated.
b) otherwise, shall I transfer the question to a MSVC newsgroup and ask
for helping translating the command-line options into the project
settings I have to set in the IDE ? Is there a 1:1 mapping ?

Thanks,
Thomas