[Rd] FIFO on windows, redux

Allen S. Rout asr at ufl.edu
Tue Aug 11 17:28:56 CEST 2009

Are FIFOs supported in modern windowsen?  The help() for connections
that discusses fifos suggests that they are not

>  (They do work on most Unix platforms, and all but 'fifo' on
>  Windows.)

and that they are

> On platforms where 'vsnprintf' does not return the needed length of
> output (e.g., Windows) there is a 100,000 character output limit on
> the length of line for 'fifo', 'gzfile' and 'bzfile' connections:
> longer lines will be truncated with a warning.

and the discussions about FIFO support I've found online talk about
support existing on "NT descendants" but not '98 or ME.

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.r.devel/4458/match=fifo+windows

My apologies for not just installing a windows box and trying it; I
don't own any licenses at the moment, and I kind of like it that
way. :)

It seemed like a doc clarification was in order, whichever way it went.

- Allen S. Rout