[Rd] more special completions

Vitalie S. vitosmail at rambler.ru
Fri Aug 21 19:55:44 CEST 2009

On Fri, 21 Aug 2009 11:21:03 +0200, Romain Francois
<romain.francois at dbmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Would it be possible to add the capability for functions to register how
> they would like to complete themselves.
>
> Currently, there is the .addFunctionInfo, but it allows only functions
> to register a static list of potential completions, I was thinking of a
> way to register not a fixed list of possible completions, but a
> __function__ that would calculate completions dynamically.
>
> This could be useful for the "new" function in R, if associated with
> something that can retrieve the current list of S4 classes (not sure
> this exists).
>
> Another example of where this could be used would be the .jnew function
> from rJava, where the first argument is a java class, associated with
> something that can complete java class names.

Not sure, but another example may be a class dependent completion for
generic functions depending on first argument. Like print(df,... ) where
df a data.frame to complete, digits = NULL, quote = FALSE, right = TRUE,
row.names = TRUE instead of only (x,...).

Vitalie.