[Rd] improving ?RweaveLatex

Marc Schwartz marc_schwartz at me.com
Sat Aug 22 23:30:05 CEST 2009

On Aug 22, 2009, at 3:03 PM, Marc Schwartz wrote:

> On Aug 22, 2009, at 2:45 PM, Liviu Andronic wrote:
>
>> Dear developers
>> Please read below.
>>
>> On 6/25/09, Marc Schwartz <marc_schwartz at me.com> wrote:
>>> You can use the following *after* the \begin{document} directive:
>>> \setkeys{Gin}{width=0.8\textwidth}
>>>
>>> The above is the default. Reset it to what you would like.
>>>
>>> Note, as per that manual page, that the Sweave options 'height'
>>> and 'width'
>>> affect the size of the PDF and EPS files created, but it is the
>>> above
>>> command that controls the size of the image in the document itself.
>>>
>> Could this information be incorporate into the RweaveLatex help page?
>> Concerning the sizes of graphs, it contains only the following
>> information:
>> "
>>    width: numeric (6), width of figures in inches.
>>    height: numeric (6), height of figures in inches.
>> "
>> Unfortunately this concise information can easily mislead into
>> believing that these two options affect the graphs dynamically
>> produced and included in the final .pdf file. It might help for these
>> two sentences to specify what figures they're affecting, and also to
>> include some info about "\setkeys{Gin}{width=0.8\textwidth}".
>> Thank you
>> Liviu
>

> It would also be worthwhile to include the information that Frank
> found on disabling the impact of this option, so that the use of the
> width and height arguments do actually define the plot image
> dimensions in the resultant document. Frank noted it here:
>
>  https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-help/2009-June/202757.html
>
> The key content is:
>
> Regarding the issue of preventing Sweave from issuing the Gin option
> to set all graphics output to have a width of 0.8\textwidth, it's as
> easy as using \usepackage[nogin]{Sweave} ...
>

> After seeing Frank's reference, the only way that one would
> otherwise note it is to read Sweave.sty directly.
>
> In my Sweave template .Rnw file, I am now actually using the [nogin]
> option by default and set the plot dimensions for each figure chunk
> as required.
>
> Thanks Liviu for the above.

I have some proposed modifications to RweaveLatex.Rd which I include
here as a patch against the R-devel version of the file from svn. I
have added comments about the issue that Liviu raised, the use of the
[nogin] option and while I was at it, the [noae] option as well. There
are added to the 'details' section of the file.

I hope that this is helpful.

Regards,

Marc