[Rd] ARM v7/Linux Port/cross-compile?

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Fri Aug 28 00:36:38 CEST 2009

On Aug 27, 2009, at 5:37 PM, Jonathan Wilner wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Has anyone succeeded in cross-compiling R to Linux on an ARM CPU?

Yes (although that questions leaves a lot of room for interpretation).

> If so, can you share a little about your toolchain & build process?

It was fairly straight-forward to build R (like any other cross-
compilation). The tricky part is to install packages (if you are truly
cross-compiling on another architecture) which I solved by using multi-
arch R (which contains both arm and the host architecture) and cross-
compiling only the binaries (i.e. only packages with native code).
That could probably be simplified, but I didn't have the time to do
that.

Cheers,
Simon