[Rd] raster support in graphics devices

Nicholas Lewin-Koh nikko at hailmail.net
Wed Dec 2 17:57:32 CET 2009

Hi Charlotte,
I think I would have to respectfully disagree with you on many points.
While we all sigh when we see heatmaps used as data to explain
everything,
they do have their uses. But beyond heat maps, the nature and demands of
modern
statistical graphics has changed. Plotting huge data sets requires
generalization,
eg binning. Plotting binned data is more efficient in raster form.
Further,
information visualization often requires blending raster images with
vector graphics.
There is as great many more examples where efficient use of raster
graphics in an R
device is a step forward.

With regards to the X11 device I think we can safely say that it is a
legacy device. We
have all hit up on the limitations of what can be done on the x11
device, and hence
the slew of new devices that have been introduced to fill the void.
Cairo is slower,
but I think we can safely assume that speed will improve as
optimizations are added and
Moores law kicks in.

Paul has added many interesting 2d vector graphics tools. Look at the
svn commits
over the years, xsplines, line joining (mitre), fonts, plotmath, ...
There is plenty of work on refining 2d graphics. 3d graphics and
interactive
graphics are also important. R is a flexible tool for prototyping new
graphical methods.
Why shoot ourselves in the foot?

Anyway, nough said.

Nicholas