[Rd] Bug in R evaluating a huge instruction (PR#14096)

Jean Couteau couteau at codelutin.com
Wed Dec 2 15:26:27 CET 2009

> FWIW the restriction is only on the console input - if you send it
> directly, there is no limit (I have never heard of nuiton-j2r but if
> you use rJava to interface from Java to R there is no limit - the
> string you parse+evaluate can be of any length).
Hi Simon,

nuiton-j2r is in fact an abstraction layer to rjava or rserve so that it
can switch between one or other implementation using simple
configuration (http://maven-site.nuiton.org/nuiton-j2r/ sorry but this
is in french). And in fact I encounter the problem using it.

What is done is basically creating the R instruction from java and
sending it to R using the eval method from the Rengine object (as we use
jri in this specific application). The R instruction should create an
object a of class morris, and I try then to get back the a$X object (the
X item of the morris object) but I get back a null object without any
reason, that is why I tried copying the instruction directly in R and
thus getting this problem.

So that is strange if you say that there is no limit using rjava/jri.

Cheers,
Jean