[Rd] raster support in graphics devices

Paul Murrell p.murrell at auckland.ac.nz
Sun Dec 6 21:35:49 CET 2009

Hi

baptiste auguie wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> It seems to me that grid.raster is a special case of grid.rect as far
> as the intended visual output is concerned. The example below
> illustrates how both can be used to produce an image of the volcano
> data,

I disagree.  A "rect" grob is a vector object and a "raster" grob is a
raster object and I think they should be kept distinct.  You could
possibly create a higher-level "image" object that is agnostic with
respect to how it is implemented and have both "rect"-based and
"raster"-based versions of that, but "rect" and "raster" are graphical
primitives and at that level I think the distinction is useful.

Paul

Dr Paul Murrell
Department of Statistics
The University of Auckland