[Rd] Crash with Unicode and sub (PR#14114)

ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu Dec 10 08:05:26 CET 2009

--27464147-153156736-1260394708=:548

It seems (from the debugger output) that this is corruption in the R
memory allocation routines.  Such things can usually be tracked down
via valgrind and a valgrind-instrumented build of R, but I cannot
trigger this on any system with valgrind.  I've tried 64- and 32-bit
versions, and Latin-1 locales as well as UTF-8.

So I am inclining to think this is Windows-specific.  One thing that
is specific to Windows is UCS-2 (16-bit) wide characters, which might
be the issue.  But we simply don't have the tools on Windows that we
do on other platforms.