[Rd] How to organized code in the R/ directory of a package?

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Sat Dec 12 18:33:59 CET 2009

    DScottNZ> Tobias Verbeke wrote:
    >> Peng Yu wrote:
    >>> I'm making a package, Current, I put all R files in the
    >>> R/ directory in the package (without using
    >>> subdirectory). This will become a problem when there are
    >>> many files in the directory. I'm wondering how to use
    >>> subdirectories in R/?
    >>
    >> The standard solution is (I would think) to organize the
    >> code such that functions belonging together are grouped
    >> in one file.

    DScottNZ> That is what I try to do. My rule is that
    DScottNZ> functions which are documented in the same .Rd
    DScottNZ> file are also in the same .R file. Might be more
    DScottNZ> sensible for some packages than for others.

Yes.  I typically even use less *.R than *.Rd files.
That's also the case for the R standard package sources:
The ratio #{R/*.R} / #{man/*.Rd}  is ~ 44%
In my own packages, I see a  ratio of slightly less than 40%.

Martin Maechler, ETH Zurich (and R core)