[Rd] O(N log N) Kendall Tau

David Simcha dsimcha at gmail.com
Sun Dec 13 06:38:05 CET 2009

I've noticed that the implementation of Kendall's Tau in R is O(N^2).
The following reference describes how it can be done in O(N log N):

 A Computer Method for Calculating Kendall's Tau with Ungrouped Data
 William R. Knight
 Journal of the American Statistical Association, Vol. 61, No. 314, Part
1 (Jun., 1966), pp. 436-439
 http://www.jstor.org/pss/2282833

I'm interested in contributing an implementation of this algorithm to
R.  However, I have a few questions:

1.  Would it likely be accepted if well-implemented?
2.  cov.c in the main/ directory of the R source tree seems to contain
at least 4 different but nearly identical implementations of Kendall's
Tau:  cov_complete1, cov_complete2, cov_na1, and cov_na2.  I can't tell
why.  The file is very difficult to read because of its lack of
comments, (ab)use of macros and improper indentation.  As I will
probably need to modify this file, can some seasoned veteran please
explain what the heck is going on in this file?