[Rd] Generate random numbers in Fortran

Kjell Konis kjell.konis at epfl.ch
Fri Feb 13 17:49:03 CET 2009

Take a look at section 6.6 in Writing R Extensions. It describes how
to call C functions from FORTRAN. Basically it just boils down to
this, in a C file define the functions

void F77_SUB(fseedi)(void)
{
   int x = 100;
   seed_in(&x);
}

void F77_SUB(fseedo)(void)
{
   int x = 100;
   seed_out(&x);
}

void F77_SUB(myrunif)(double* px)
{
	*px = unif_rand();
}

Then you could write a FORTRAN subroutine like

       subroutine blah()
       implicit double precision (a-h,o-z)
       call fseedi()
       call myrunif(RND)
       call fseedo()
       end

The fseed* subroutines only need to be called once, fseedi at the
beginning of your FORTRAN code and fseedo at the end.

HTH,
Kjell