[Rd] Identifying graphics files produced by R

David M Smith david at revolution-computing.com
Fri Feb 13 22:15:46 CET 2009

Oftentimes, I see graphs on the web that *look* like they've been
produced by R, but I can never be sure.  Or can I?  I notice that
PostScript files include a "%%%Creator: R Software" line, but do R
graphics drivers encode any identifying information in GIF or PNG
files more commonly used on the web?  And of so, would such evidence
necessarily be obliterated in post-processing (e.g cropping)?

I'm trying to do an informal survey of R's use to create statistical
graphics on the web, and if there's a way to identify graph files I
see as coming from R it would help a lot.

Thanks,
# David Smith

--
David M Smith <david at revolution-computing.com>