[Rd] Google Summer of Code 2009

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Thu Feb 19 15:33:36 CET 2009

On Feb 19, 2009, at 6:38 , Sklyar, Oleg (London) wrote:

> Two ideas:
>
> 1) A library for interactive plots in R
>
> R lacks functionality that would allow displaying of interactive
> plots with two distinct functionalities: zooming and panning. This
> functionality is extremely important for the analysis of large, high
> frequency, data sets spanning over large ranges (in time as well).
> The functionality should acknowledge Axis methods in callbacks on
> rescale (so that it could be extended to user-specific classes for
> axis generation) and should have a native C interface to R (i.e. no
> Java, but such cross platform widgets like GTK or QT or anything
> similar that does not require heavy-weight add-ons). GTK has been
> used successfully from within R in many applications (RGtk, rgobby,
> EBImage etc) on both *nix and Windows, and thus could be a
> preferential option, it is also extremely easy to integrate into R.
> The existing tools (e.g. iplots) are slow, unstable and lack support
> for time/date plots (or actually any non-standard axes) and they are
> all Java. We are looking into stanard xy-plots as well as image and
> 3D plots. Obviously one can think of further interactivity, but this
> would be too much for the Summer of Code project. A good prototype
> would already be a step forward.

If primitive 3d scatterplot interactivity is all you want, go with
rggobi. It's GTK and has all this already and much more. However,
ggobi also shows why GTK is not a good choice for general interactive
graphics toolkit - it [GTK] is slow and lacks reasonable graphics
support. OpenGL is IMHO a better way to go since IG don't really
leverage any of the widgets (you get them for free via R widgets
packages anyway) and OpenGL gives you excellent speed, alpha-support
and anti-aliasing etc.

As you can imagine I don't agree with most of your statements above
and I'm happy to discuss them in a separate thread. Just as an aside
iPlots 3.0 (announced for useR!/DSC) are no longer Java based and have
a native C interface.

Cheers,