[Rd] Google Summer of Code 2009

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Thu Feb 19 17:52:19 CET 2009

[ Cool how nobody cared about Fritz' request not to post ideas yet :) ]

[ I broadly share Oleg's "wouldn't it be nice to have better plot devices"
  wish.  But I don't think it is a three-month summer target, and it's not
  on the side of things Fritz / Manuel prefer as it is infrastructure rather
  than pure statistics ... Then again, maybe we should put that up to a wider
  discussion.  I like 'infrastructure' as R is a platform to me. ]

On 19 February 2009 at 09:33, Simon Urbanek wrote:
| If primitive 3d scatterplot interactivity is all you want, go with
| rggobi. It's GTK and has all this already and much more. However,
| ggobi also shows why GTK is not a good choice for general interactive
| graphics toolkit - it [GTK] is slow and lacks reasonable graphics
| support. OpenGL is IMHO a better way to go since IG don't really
| leverage any of the widgets (you get them for free via R widgets
| packages anyway) and OpenGL gives you excellent speed, alpha-support
| and anti-aliasing etc.

I don't want to turn this into an all-out 'vi versus emacs' slugfest but:

-- GTk it not the only choice, and I have been very happy with Qt (and Qwt
   for a simple yet nice plot widget) on both Linux and Windows; I don't have
   access to a Mac so I didn't test there.

-- Qt supports OpenGL natively. The demos are very impressive (for OpenGL as
   well as the other widgets).

-- Deepayan has been working on Qt-based code to enhance R, as that appears
   to be 'unannounced' I won't post the SVN repo but allow me to state that
   the code already ran all (or almost all) examples from the lattice book.

Dirk