[Rd] vignette compilation times

Friedrich Leisch Friedrich.Leisch at stat.uni-muenchen.de
Thu Feb 19 23:36:58 CET 2009

  > thanks for this clarification Uwe
  > Could I include the r_env_cache/  directory in the package
  > and then assume that the CRAN checks use

  > Sweave(.... , driver=weaver())

  > in which case the process takes about 10 seconds?

That makes no sense, because then there are no checks done at all: if
the code in your vignette does not change, weaver will not recompute
anything, hence the cached results are used. But in that case you
could as well include only the PDF (or the generated .tex if you like
that better) ...

The whole point of checking vignettes on CRAN is that we can track
errors due to changes in R or other packages. The second benefit is
that users can easily play around with your code and use itr as
examples ... how good an example with 10 hour runtime is depends of
course on the application.

Best,
Fritz