[Rd] Google Summer of Code 2009

Thomas Lumley tlumley at u.washington.edu
Fri Feb 20 09:14:19 CET 2009

On Fri, 20 Feb 2009, Friedrich Leisch wrote:

>  > [ Cool how nobody cared about Fritz' request not to post ideas yet :) ]
>
> Well, I kind of expected that ;-)
>
> See also below.
>
>  > [ I broadly share Oleg's "wouldn't it be nice to have better plot devices"
>  >   wish.  But I don't think it is a three-month summer target,
>
> Yes, that's exactly what came to my mind first

The principle applies to some extent to all "wouldn't it be nice if R did..." comments.  If something would obviously be a widely appreciated addition to R (such as good interactive graphics), there is probably some good reason that it is hard.  It's relatively unlikely that no-one had thought of it or had realized it would be worth having.

For ideas like that we are likely to need some way to make the implementation easier (money, code, new approaches to the programming,...).

         -thomas