[Rd] R-devel/Linux x64/Sun Studio 12: Problem with Matrix

Thomas Petzoldt Thomas.Petzoldt at TU-Dresden.de
Sat Feb 21 09:46:52 CET 2009

Dear Developers,

motivated by the new Sun Studio checks I compiled R-devel and several of
our packages with Sun Studio 12 on Fedora x64.

Everything worked fine and R-devel runs, with the exception of package
Matrix where compilation crashes with the following message. The error
occurs during building of the recommended packages and also if Matrix is
compiled separately:

[...]
CC -G -lCstd  -L/opt/sun/sunstudio12/lib/amd64 -o Matrix.so CHMfactor.o
Csparse.o TMatrix_as.o Tsparse.o init.o Mutils.o chm_common.o cs.o
cs_utils.o dense.o dgCMatrix.o dgTMatrix.o dgeMatrix.o dpoMatrix.o
dppMatrix.o dsCMatrix.o dsyMatrix.o dspMatrix.o dtCMatrix.o dtTMatrix.o
dtrMatrix.o dtpMatrix.o factorizations.o ldense.o lgCMatrix.o sparseQR.o
CHOLMOD.a COLAMD.a AMD.a -L/home/user/R/R-devel/lib -lRlapack
-L/home/user/R/R-devel/lib -lRblas
-R/opt/sun/sunstudio12/lib/amd64:/opt/sun/sunstudio12/lib/amd64:/opt/sun/lib/rtlibs/amd64:/opt/sun/lib/rtlibs/amd64 -L/opt/sun/sunstudio12/rtlibs/amd64 -L/opt/sun/sunstudio12/prod/lib/amd64 -lfui -lfai -lfsu -lmtsk -lpthread -lm /opt/sun/sunstudio12/prod/lib/amd64/libc_supp.a
/lib64/libpthread.so.0: file not recognized: File format not recognized
make: *** [Matrix.so] Error 1
ERROR: compilation failed for package ‘Matrix’
* Removing ‘/home/user/R/R-devel/library/Matrix’

Can someone help me or give me a pointer what I'm making wrong? How can
I get/include the missing shared library?

Many thanks in advance

Thomas Petzoldt

#file: config.site

CC=cc
CFLAGS="-xO5 -xc99 -xlibmil -nofstore"
CPICFLAGS=-Kpic
F77=f95
FFLAGS="-O5 -libmil -nofstore"
FPICFLAGS=-Kpic
CXX=CC
CXXFLAGS="-xO5 -xlibmil -nofstore"
CXXPICFLAGS=-Kpic
FC=f95
FCFLAGS=$FFLAGS
FCPICFLAGS=-Kpic
LDFLAGS=-L/opt/sun/sunstudio12/lib/amd64
SHLIB_LDFLAGS=-shared
SHLIB_CXXLDFLAGS="-G -lCstd"
SHLIB_FCLDFLAGS=-G
SAFE_FFLAGS="-O5 -libmil"

platform 86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
arch x86_64
os linux-gnu
system x86_64, linux-gnu
status Under development (unstable)
major 2
minor 9.0
year  2009
month 02
day   20
svn rev 47964
language R
version.string R version 2.9.0 Under development (unstable) (2009-02-20
r47964)