[Rd] [R] length 1 offset in glm (& lm)

Peter Dalgaard P.Dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Wed Feb 25 14:41:34 CET 2009

Prof Brian Ripley wrote:
> On Wed, 25 Feb 2009, Kenneth Knoblauch wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> Quoting Prof Brian Ripley <ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk>:

>>> So let's be clear: this was the 'offset' argument' and not the offset()
>>> function as you refer to below.
>>
>> It occurs for both
>
> Yes (I knew). but no one (AFAICS) said the function allows length-1
> arguments: Heather is raising the possibility that it should as new
> functionality, I believe.

Makes sense to have them consistent though, and we we do advertise that
recycling works for the argument. Looks like this could be fixed at the
level of model.frame.default, but the sticky bit is where to get the
repeat count in case the formula is something like "~-1". I don't quite
fathom the current rules:

> model.frame(~-1,offset=1)
  (offset)
1        1
> model.frame(~-1,offset=1,data=aq)
  (offset)
1        1
> model.frame(Ozone~-1,offset=1,data=aq)
Error in model.frame.default(Ozone ~ -1, offset = 1, data = aq) :
  variable lengths differ (found for '(offset)')
> model.frame(Ozone~-1,data=aq)
  Ozone
1    41
2    36
3    12
4    18
6    28
> model.frame(~-1,data=aq)
data frame with 0 columns and 6 rows

> foo <- 2:3
> model.frame(~foo-1,data=aq)
   foo
1    2
2    3
3 <NA>
4 <NA>
5 <NA>
6 <NA>
Warning message:
In format.data.frame(x, digits = digits, na.encode = FALSE) :
  corrupt data frame: columns will be truncated or padded with NAs
> foo <- 2
> model.frame(~foo-1,data=aq)
  foo
1   2