[Rd] Fontconfig warning with X11() on MAC OS X 10.4

MerliseClyde clyde at stat.duke.edu
Wed Feb 25 16:27:16 CET 2009

I posted previously about problems with X11() on my MAC using R 2.8.1 .
After installing the securilty update for Tiger this morning, X11() now
works from an xterm :-)

However, I receive the following warnings with any plotting command using
the default X11 settings.
Fontconfig warning: no <cachedir> elements found. Check configuration.
Fontconfig warning: adding
<cachedir>/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/fontconfig/cache</cachedir>
Fontconfig warning: adding <cachedir>~/.fontconfig</cachedir>

Everything works fine with the Xlib option:

> X11(type="Xlib")
> plot(1:10)  # no problems!
> X11(type="cairo")
> plot(1:10)
Fontconfig warning: no <cachedir> elements found. Check configuration.
Fontconfig warning: adding
<cachedir>/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/fontconfig/cache</cachedir>
Fontconfig warning: adding <cachedir>~/.fontconfig</cachedir>

subsequent commands with X11/cairo plot with no errors.

If I quit R, and start a new session I continue to receive the Fontconfig
warning.

Any suggestions on what is wrong with my font configuration?
(mainly annoying :-)

Thanks!
Merlise
Version:
 platform = i386-apple-darwin8.11.1
 arch = i386
 os = darwin8.11.1
 system = i386, darwin8.11.1
 status =
 major = 2
 minor = 8.1
 year = 2008
 month = 12
 day = 22
 svn rev = 47281
 language = R
 version.string = R version 2.8.1 (2008-12-22)