[Rd] Apparant bug in binomial model in GLM (PR#13434)

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Tue Jan 6 16:00:19 CET 2009

This is a (too-little) known phenomenon: the problem is the low power of
the Wald test in certain circumstances, and not the R implementation.

You can look it up in MASS (the book)  pp.197-9.

Can I ask how you 'knew for certain' what this should do? From the FAQ:

   But be sure you know for certain what it ought to have done. If you
   aren't familiar with the command, or don't know for certain how the
   command is supposed to work, then it might actually be working right.
   For example, people sometimes think there is a bug in R's mathematics
   because they don't understand how finite-precision arithmetic works.
   Rather than jumping to conclusions, show the problem to someone who
   knows for certain.

Who was your authority here?

On Tue, 6 Jan 2009, soren.faurby at biology.au.dk wrote:

> Full_Name: Søren Faurby