[Rd] Documentation suggestions for vignettes

Perry de Valpine pdevalpine at berkeley.edu
Thu Jan 15 18:37:18 CET 2009

(Apologies for re-posting this from a few minutes ago.  My message
was scrubbed and I hope I've done it right now...)

I am looking at the 2.8.1 source code in R-2.8.1/src/library/grid/
inst/doc, where there is an index.html (I am not at daily syncing
level and hope that is not an issue in this case).  In this case the
Snw files contain the %\VignetteIndexEntry and associated commands,
so the index.html could have been generated by the package build (I
see the pdfs, so I assume they were generated from the Snws by
building the package. Should be I able to access a pre-build package
source? That is not what is in R-2.8.1.tar.gz but may be what you
have?).

To clarify: if I attempt to include a vignette by putting a pdf
directly in inst/doc, then R CMD BUILD does copy the pdf to the built
package but generates an index.html that says there are no vignettes,
so R is blind to the vignette.  After seeing a correctly built
index.html, I made a leap to think that if I include/modify the
index.html to treat the pdf as a vignette, that might make R see it.
However, I did not test this, and instead moved on to the Rnw method
with %\VignetteIndexEntry.  For the direct pdf method, I don't know
if R CMD BUILD is intended to generate an index.html that recognizes
any pdfs present (i.e. the documentation is fine), or alternatively
if the documentation should state more completely how to include a
pdf directly as a vignette.  The latter was the premise of my earlier
post.  Please let me know if that is confused or still not specific
enough.  Thanks.

Perry